Programmes Offered


  Post Graduate Programmes


M. Sc. Genomics: Syllabus

SBS is offering M. Sc. Genomics Programme since 2002 under the auspices of the UGC-Centre of Potential for Excellence in Genomic Sciences.  Students with high academic standards were selected through National Level entrance test conducted by the University and it is followed by group discussion. The course was offered under Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) according to UGC recommendation. To have national representation, 40% of the seats are reserved for students other than Tamilnadu and the remaining 60% seats are filled following Tamilnadu reservation policy. A maximum of 20 students were admitted to this course every year. 

Eligibility:

A Bachelor's degree in any branch of Life Sciences (Botany, Zoology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Genetics or equivalent), Physical and Chemical Sciences (Physics and Chemistry), Medicine, Veterinary and Agriculture from any recognized Indian or Foreign University, with 55% marks or equivalent are eligible to apply. Students with B.Tech. Degrees in Biotechnology, Computer Science, Information Technology and Bioinformatics with Biology at +2 level are also eligible.

M. Sc. Microbiology (Self Supported) : Syllabus

The aim of this course is to acquaint the students to versatile tools and techniques employed in microbiology. A comprehensive acquaintance on methodological selection allows students to innovatively apply these in basic and applied fields of microbiology. This course provides theoretical bases to properties and applications of versatile Microbial DNA modifying enzymes, cloning strategies, vector types, host genotype specificities for selection and screening of recombinants and/or recombinant transformants. Students will also be introduced to prominent molecular techniques. Introduction to various types of vectors viz. cloning, transformation, expression; and vectors for genomic and cDNA library will be provided. Finally, students will be familiarized and gained in-depth knowledge of microbiology and its related fields.

Eligibility:

A Bachelor's degree in science courses– Botany, Zoology, Microbiology, Microbial Technology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Genetics, and etc- is either a Major or an Ancillary subject. Students from professional courses such as MBBS., H.VSc., B.D.S, B.Pharm., B.Sc. (Agriculture) and related subjects from a recognized Indian or Foreign University are also eligible.

M.Sc. Biochemistry (Self supported): Syllabus

M. Sc.  Biochemical Technology, a self-supported course, is offered since 2000 by the Department of Biochemistry.  Students are selected through National level entrance test and subsequent Group Discussion.  A maximum of 15 students are admitted to this course each year.  From the academic year 2017 the above course was renamed as “Biochemistry” These students are also well placed in various Universities and Institutions.

Eligibility:

A pass in B.Sc.e dgree in Biochemistry/Biotechnology/Genetics/Nutrition and Dietetics/ Microbiology/ Biology/ Botany/ Zoology/ Chemistry / Medical Laboratory Technology/Triple major with Biochemistry and allied subjects.

  M.Phil Programmes


M.Phil. Botany:  Syllabus

M.Phil (Botany)

M.Phil. Microbiology:  Syllabus

M.Phil (Microbiology)

  Doctoral Programmes


PhD Biochemistry

PhD Biology

PhD Botany

PhD Genetics

PhD Genomics

PhD Immunology

PhD Microbiology

PhD Molecular Biology

PhD Zoology


Placements: 

It is worth mentioning that the outgoing students of M. Sc., Genomics programme are highly successful in finding the right opportunities. 90% of the M. Sc., Genomics students, pursues their higher education through Ph. D.  Out of these, 30% of students go abroad for Ph. D. and the remaining get into the good institutes in India for higher studies.

 

  Student Enrolment (2007-08 TO 2016-17)


PG Programmes

M

F

ST

SC

OBC

PH

GEN

NRI

TOTAL

M.Sc., Genomics

65

104

1

15

60

0

90

3

169

M.Sc., BCT

33

55

0

9

36

0

43

0

88